Director of Programs and Community Engagement
The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) is seeking a dynamic professional to serve as its Director of Programs and Community Engagement. The qualified candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing APAICS Programs, which are related to advancing the political pipeline and leadership of the Asian Pacific American community as well as managing program staff.
The Director of Programs and Community Engagement reports directly to the President and CEO. Current APAICS programs include:
- Summer internship program for undergraduates
- Fellowship Program for graduates and post-graduates
- Regional Leadership Academy trainings: multi-day training for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders
- Washington, DC National Leadership Academy: multi-day training for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders
- Washington, DC Legislative Leadership Summit: a 2 day conference bringing together non-profit and corporate leaders, subject matter experts, as well as local and federal elected officials for a day of bipartisan policy discussions that impact the Asian Pacific American (APA) community and the nation at large.
- Planning, development, and implementation of events, workshops, and leadership training programs for interns, fellows, candidates, and elected officials
- Manage, lead and mentor program staff
- Promotion of APAICS programs, including recruitment through national, regional, and local community outreach
- Collaborate with communications team for media outreach including traditional and social media to promote programs
- Develop and implement APAICS alumni in programs
- Program evaluation and continuous improvement
- Assisting in fundraising for programs and reporting
- Full participation in planning and organizing Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- At least seven (7) years experience in a related field
- Deep knowledge about Asian Pacific American communities across the country
- Experience in leadership training
- Experience working with elected officials, including Members of Congress
- Experience working with, inspiring, and guiding undergraduates and young professionals
- Knowledge of media strategy, marketing, and promotion
- Ability to travel
Analytical & Interpersonal Skills
- Strong leadership skills to develop and leverage resources, build partnerships and coalitions
- Possesses clear vision and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through
- Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Team player and accomplished managerial skills
- Must be creative and flexible to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; works well under pressure
- Solid logistical and organizational skills required
- Sense of humor with a high degree of professionalism
- Compensation commensurate to experience
- This full-time opportunity is located in Washington, D.C.
All applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, or individuals who are legally authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For additional information, please contact us at 202-296-9200.