The Director of Programs and Community Engagement reports directly to the President and CEO. Current APAICS programs include:
• Congressional Fellowship program for graduates and post-graduates
• Summer Congressional Internship program for undergraduates
• Regional Leadership Academy trainings: multi-day trainings for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders interesting in running for public office
• National Leadership Academy: multi-day training for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders
• Women’s Collective program to encourage more AAPI women into public service: includes an annual Summit, special events, and frequent collaboration with partner organizations
• Mid-career legislative staff leadership development program to develop diverse leaders in legislative roles
• Youth Leadership Academy for high school students to learn about public service in Washington, DC
• Winter Kakehashi program for AAPI students on a cultural exchange in Japan (on hiatus during COVID-19)
• Planning, development, and implementation of in-person and virtual events, workshops, and leadership training programs for interns, fellows, high school students, congressional staff, candidates, and elected officials based on metrics driven outcomes
• Manage, lead, and mentor APAICS programs staff and program participants
• Promotion of APAICS programs, including recruitment through national, regional, and local community outreach
• Collaborate with communications team for outreach including traditional and social media to promote programs
• Build and maintain working relationships with partner organizations, congressional offices, and representing APAICS across various formal and informal working groups
• Strengthen the implementation of APAICS alumni in programs
• Identify creative programming opportunities to visibly increase AAPI representation in the political pipeline
• Program monitoring, evaluation, and continuous improvement
• At least seven (7) years experience in a related field
• Deep knowledge about Asian Pacific American communities across the country
• Experience in leadership training, workshop management, and curriculum development
• Experience working with elected officials including Members of Congress
• Familiarity working in and around congress and/or political campaigns desired
• Experience working with, inspiring, and guiding students, undergraduates, and young professionals
• Knowledge of media strategy, marketing, and promotion
• Ability to travel (all travel paused during COVID-19)
ANALYTICAL & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
• Strong leadership skills to develop and leverage resources, build partnerships and coalitions
• Possesses clear vision and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through
• Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Team player and accomplished managerial skills
• Must be creative and flexible to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; works well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Solid logistical and organizational skills required to prioritize various workloads and meet tight deadlines
• Ability to work with individuals across different political ideologies
• Sense of humor with a high degree of professionalism
• Salary is $75,000 with healthcare premium reimbursement, three weeks of vacation and access to 401(k) plan after 90 days of employment
• This full-time opportunity is located in Washington, D.C.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items emailing email@example.com.
• Contact information
• Two professional references
• Answer to the essay question (What leadership quality would you encourage AAPIs to develop to run for elected office or enter public service? Why?)
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Additionally, all persons hired will be required to submit to and clear a background check prior to commencement of employment.
APAICS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For additional information, please contact us at 202-296-9200.