The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) is a national non-partisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to promoting Asian Pacific American participation and representation at all levels of the political process, from community service to elected office. APAICS programs focus on developing leadership, building public policy knowledge, and filling the political pipeline for Asian Pacific Americans to pursue public office at the local, state, and federal levels.
The Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) is seeking a dynamic professional to serve as its Director of Programs and Community Engagement. The qualified candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing APAICS Programs, which are related to advancing the political pipeline and leadership of the Asian Pacific American community.
The Director of Programs and Community Engagement reports directly to the President and CEO.
Current APAICS programs include:
- Summer internship program for undergraduates
- Summer Youth Leadership Academy for students to learn about public service and other professional opportunities in Washington, DC
- Winter Kakehashi program for AAPI students on a cultural exchange in Japan
- Fellowship Program for graduates and post-graduates
- Women’s Collective program to encourage more AAPI women into public service
- Regional Leadership Academy trainings: multi-day training for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders
- National Leadership Academy: multi-day training for elected officials, first time candidates & community leaders
- Planning, development, and implementation of events, workshops, and leadership training programs for interns, fellows, candidates, and elected officials based on metrics driven outcomes
- Manage, lead and mentor interns and fellows
- Promotion of APAICS programs, including recruitment through national, regional, and local community outreach
- Collaborate with communications team for media outreach including traditional and social media to promote programs
- Develop and implement APAICS alumni in programs
- Program evaluation and continuous improvement
- At least seven (7) years experience in a related field
- Deep knowledge about Asian Pacific American communities across the country
- Experience in leadership training
- Experience working with elected officials, including Members of Congress
- Experience working with, inspiring, and guiding undergraduates and young professionals
- Knowledge of media strategy, marketing, and promotion
- Ability to travel
Analytical & Interpersonal Skills
- Strong leadership skills to develop and leverage resources, build partnerships and coalitions
- Possesses clear vision and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through
- Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Team player and accomplished managerial skills
- Must be creative and flexible to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; works well under pressure
- Solid logistical and organizational skills required
- Sense of humor with a high degree of professionalism
- Salary is $75,000 with healthcare premium reimbursement and access to 401(k) plan after 90 days of employment
- This full-time opportunity is located in Washington, D.C.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Additionally, all persons hired will be required to submit to and clear a background check prior to commencement of employment.
APAICS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, veteran status status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For additional information, please contact us at 202-296-9200.
Please submit the following items using this form.
- Contact information
- Two professional references
- Answer to the essay question