As we look back on last month, a lot has happened!
While we said goodbye to our 2019 summer interns and 2018-2019 fellows, we also welcomed in our 2019-2020 fellowship class. In fact, our current fellowship class was featured in India West! This summer, we toured the country were we found even more engaged AAPI leaders who are looking to take the next step: whether it’s through community service or running for elected office.
For both new and past alumni, we are excited to continue this journey with you to continue to expand the pipeline for AAPIs in public service. We’ve seen hands-on what the newest generation of AAPI voices can achieve, and through our alumni newsletter, we hope that you’ll be able to share the jobs and achievements of our APAICS family.
DC Diaries: A Day in DC as an APAICS Fellow
Fellow: Erika Ninoyu
Member: Rep. Grace Meng (NY-06)
Favorite Memories in DC
There is so much to love in DC! DC is the place to be for a frugal-minded person like me. I am taking advantage of the free concerts, museums, receptions, and most importantly, food. In celebration of the Kennedy Performing Arts Center’s new expansion, I visited the Reach during their two-week festival. I attended a “Meet the Chef” event, where the mastermind behind the cafeterias at the National Museum of African American History and Culture and the National Museum of the American Indian shared his story of becoming a chef. He is young and on a mission to change our conception of food, believing that the food we serve and eat should be a reflection of our culture. At the end of the session, he shared banh mi-esque sandwiches with homemade spam and banana ketchup. Yum!
November 2, 2019: Council of Korean Americans is holding their summit November 2. If you’d like to go, tickets are $25 through their Emerging Leaders program. Learn more here.
Fellowship and Internship Selection Committee
We need your help selecting our next Fellows and Interns. If you are interested in learning more about the Selection Committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Congressional Fellowship Dates
- Saturday, February 22, 2020, 10am-5pm (Application Review)
- Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10am-5pm (Video Interviews)
Congressional Internship Dates
- Saturday, February 29, 2020, 10am-5pm (Application Review)
- Saturday, March 21, 2020, 10am-5pm (Video Interviews)
We also need your help in identifying candidates. Submit your 2020-21 APAICS Fellowship nominees here.
- We’re hiring! If you, or someone you know is interested in joining our team here at APAICS, apply here to be an APAICS Communications Associate.
- U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Committee’s summer paid internship program.
- American Petroleum Institute’s job and internship listings.
- Sujata Strategies’ weekly job postings.
- South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT), Executive Director
- APIA Scholars, Vice President for Programs, Policy, and Advocacy
- APIA Scholars, Marketing and Communications Director
- APIA Scholars, Development Director
- APIA Scholars, Development Manager