The Congressional Fellowship is designed for young AAPI professionals looking to increase their experience in public policy and service. The full-time, paid, nine-month long program, provides Fellows with opportunities to build their leadership skills, encourages political engagement, and fosters interests in public service careers. Fellows are placed in congressional offices and serve as part of the legislative team.
2020-2021 Fellowship Program Dates: September 2020 – June 2021
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020 at 5pm ET
Eligibility and Program Details
APAICS Congressional Fellows will Receive
- Professional work experience in Washington, DC
- A grant of $22,500 for the duration of the nine-month Fellowship (equivalent to a $30,000 annual salary)
- Domestic round-trip transportation to Washington, D.C.
- Professional Development Funds
- Health insurance reimbursement of $200 a month
- Leadership development program, networking, access to APAICS alumni network and more
- Work 40 hours a week at placement site
- Attend a one-day orientation
- Participate in all APAICS-sponsored activities
- Develop and execute a policy briefing to promote public policy issues of importance to AAPIs
- Comply with APAICS policies regarding work performance and personal conduct
- Have completed their undergraduate degree and/or have at least five years of public service experience prior to the program start date.
- Be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, or individuals who are legally authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer and who possess lawful evidence of employment authorization.
- Note: Individuals who are seeking consideration under the “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival” (DACA) policy must possess an Employment Authorization Document at the time of application that is valid throughout the program.
- Family members of the APAICS Board of Directors or National Advisory Council are prohibited from participating in any of APAICS’ programs.
Required Documents: the following items are required as part of the application and should be uploaded below, no exceptions will be made for incomplete applications after the deadline.
- Essay Responses
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Academic Transcripts (official or unofficial, if applicable)
Deadline to apply: January 31, 2020 at 5pm ET
The APAICS Congressional Fellowship Program is a highly competitive program. Applications are reviewed by a selection committee made up of program alumni, staff, and board members. Top candidates receive an invitation to interview.
Applications are scored based on evidence of leadership and leadership potential, including community involvement, commitment to public service, and ability to challenge self.
Please click the button below to apply.
Past Fellowship Placement
APAICS Fellows have been placed in the congressional offices of:
Upon successful completion of the fellowship, past fellows have been hired on as full time staff in congressional offices, federal agencies, or non-profit organizations. A few are currently serving in elected positions. APAICS does not guarantee automatic employment after completion of fellowship tenure but will provide available resources and support should a fellow choose to seek full time employment.
Our Fellowship Sponsors
Southwest is the official airline of the APAICS Congressional Fellowship